Sunday, January 10, 2010

Industrial Food and Unintended Consequences

Hello all ! Long time.....no post, and some fun things have been rolling across the big screens and the big press lately! If you've not seen Food, Inc. and you are interested in getting a feel for how industrial food is produced- then you should see it! For those who already know some of this big story, we have a new twist to add to the subject- a New York Times expose on ammoniated ground beef http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31meat.html

Ammonia treated ground beef is coming under scrutiny as are the very agencies that oversee the safety and wholesomeness of the food we eat. One has to wonder, what will we learn next ??

Give it some thought whenever you eat out, or your children eat lunches prepared at school, or you shop through the aisles of the market. Whatever your take- be it a triumph of technology to be able to produce sheer mountains of food so cheaply, or an abomination to the very nature of what helps define us- what we eat.

No, I'm not advocating a wholesale rebuttal to large scale agriculture, but I do urge you constantly ask......."WHY?"

Why so cheap ? Why the other ingredients ? Why are the regulations written so ? Who is in charge ? A big part of the ANSWER is YOU...with your food dollars. VERY powerful ! Give it some thought ! Shunt a portion of your food dollars to.........
You fill in the blank !
Thank you and be well !
Dave

2 comments:

xacerb8 said...

For some reason, seeing "Supersize Me" didn't get me to stop eating at McDonald's and Burger King. Not that I ate there *that* much, but I'd hit the drive-through once a month maybe. Supersize Me made me feel guilty, but not guilty enough to forego the Big Mac.

After reading "The Ominivore's Dilemma, "The Ethics of What we Eat," and "Righteous Porkchop," I changed my mind. It was the last book that really pushed me over the edge. I stopped getting anything but coffee at McDonald's.

For myself. But, for my kids? I kept buying them Quarter Pounders and BK Burger Shots, because I wanted them to come to their own personal decision about animal cruelty. At home, I made sure I bought grass-fed, local beef, but I still indulged their Happy Meal habit.

And then I read that horrifying NY Times article about the ammonia in the beef. And that was it. No more fast-food beef for my kids. They're relieved that I'm still down with the "chicken fries," but honestly, their days are numbered, too.

I've been getting my ground beef from Wheel View Farm out in Shelburne, MA, but a friend of mine let me know that you guys were delivering to Waltham. I'm psyched to try my first beef from your farm. Hope to do the pick up this Saturday!!

I'm very, very thankful that clean, local, humanely-raised food is an option for me and my family. One of my resolutions for this year is to try to figure out ways to make it a possibility for more folks.

Dave said...

Thank you for caring about the quality of your food- and for buying locally grown! Kudos to you for trekking out to Franklin County for your beef! The Wheelers are great producers. Thank you for giving us a try, too! We farmers appreciate well informed customers!