Friday, January 14, 2011

Farewell to a good bud!

The continuum of life swirls all around us......births, celebrations and the necessary difficult good-byes. My trusty, great all-around horse Cavan left us Thursday January 13, 2011. He was a smallish Trakaener cross horse, barely 1000 lbs but tough and strong as nails and was arguably the best horse I had the privilege to work with. Put a beginner astride him......no problem, safe and kind. Many youngsters got their start into the equestrian arts with him. Field work- no problem! Supremely "forward" and attentive, straight as an arrow and snappy, too! No need for the driving lines- he knew the routine. Get to the end of the row "gee" over two rows and do it again back to the next headland.
Cavan was already 20 when he came to us 11 years ago, from a riding academy in Willington, CT- Woodcock Hill, very close to where my wife and I went to college (University of CT), but aside from some stiff hocks, he had gumption enough to go strong another 11 years! There are countless students from Woodcock Hill who remember him well- ears back attitude, kind of grumpy. He turned out to be an honest mush for a good bum-scratch and absolutely loved his 24/7 turn out on our many pastures that also see our chickens and cattle in rotation. Life afterall was pretty laid back here for the horses. Sure they got used and worked, but had (and still have) the very best that we can provide and they certainly had way more down time than work time.
We raise a toast to his memory and celebrate some foal just born somewhere to replace him in this world.
Remember that life is short...too short.....live it well and give thanks to all you meet and truly cherish those in your life now. You never know what tomorrow holds!
Three cheers for Cavan!

5 comments:

Casey from LifewithRoozle.com said...

What a lovely post! Thank you for sharing this story of your beloved horse's wonderful life.

Sound the Bugle Studio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sound the Bugle Studio said...

Dave, Cavan will be missed so much. He was as steady and reliable as they come: he took very good care of anyone who sat on his back. He was such a wise and patient teacher.
Thank you providing him with a lush, green and spacious retirement. I know he loved you very much and had loads of fun with you.
It's comforting to me, as one who knew and loved this horse for twenty years, that he had you next to him as he took his final journey.
Thank you, again, for being there for him.

Unknown said...

This is a really beautiful tribute Dave. I will always cherish Cavan. He was "My Little Man!", and he came so far from the first day I met him. I'll never forget it. I was so excited to meet him and when I went to the barn, I found him in the back of his stall, head in the corner. When I peeked my head over to say hello, he lunged at me with ears pinned and teeth barred determined to get me! So angry, vicious and he hated people. I immediately realized why nobody else wanted to ride or work with him. He trusted no one, but something about him touched my heart. Our first year was challenging, frustrating and very rewarding. The next two years were just plain fun and his true personality really shined. Deep down, he was a sweetheart that loved to be spoiled, talked to, and have his butt scratched. I had the great pleasure of being his partner for 3years, and the real honor of loving him for the next 20+. My biggest thanks to you Helen,Dave et al. You all took him into your hearts and homes and gave him the best life a pony could ask for. Helen, thank you for always keeping me in the know on what he was up to and for painting me the most beautiful protrait that proudly hangs for all to see. If there is ever anything I can do for any of you I am here. I hope you will consider coming to California for a visit soon!

Pink Granite said...

Beautifully written.
Thank you for sharing this with us all.
Peace...
- Lee & Chuck